Winter season is coming! And though that brings lots of joy, it also brings a time where our immune systems seem to have to work a bit overtime. So what can we do to strengthen and support our immune system as the winter months come?
1. Of course the Basics, let's start with the obvious: Eat a healthy, nutrient dense, mostly raw food diet. Get plenty of rest, exercise and fresh air where possible. Wash your hands often. Clean the busy and often touched areas of your house (i.e. door knobs and light switches). Purify is AMAZING for cleaning! In fact, some recent studies done by John Hopkins have found Purify to be able to eliminating some strains of super-bug bacteria.
2. Mist your families bed sheets with a mist of essential oils before bedtime. 10 drops of Protective Blend (On Guard), Lemon, Melaleuca, or some other essential oil with a ¼ cup of water in a spray bottle – shake well.
3. Clean regularly around your home- use essential oils to clean. On Guard, Purify (this is my favorite), or Lemon in a spray bottle used for cleaning will assure clean surfaces. Cleanse in between hand washes and when you are out and about. That’s when I pull out my little DIY Hand Cleansing spray bottle with On Guard, water, and witch hazel. Spray down shopping cart handles, your hands, restaurant tables, etc. Great way to cleanse on the go. Also, takes care of any sticky kid messes great! It smells divine too.
4. Homemade Elderberry syrup, Homemade Garlic Lemonade, and Homemade Kid-Friendly Herbal Infusion. We all know how much immune boosting strength garlic and lemons have, thus garlic lemonade is one of my favorites. Plus, it tastes great and the kids love to drink it! Plus it is super easy to make.
Garlic Lemonade Recipe:
12 Cloves of Garlic chopped up fine. Brought to a boil in 2 quarts of water, and then simmered for 1 hour. Strain garlic out, and put the garlic infused water into a 1/2 gallon mason jar or other glass container. Add juice of 4 lemons to the mixture. Add Raw honey to taste. Let it stay a bit sour. And there you go! Trust me, you will get addicted.
I also like to give my kids my DIY homemade elderberry syrup daily as well. Elderberries have amazing properties!!
Elderberry Syrup Recipe:
Add together: 1 cup of dried Elderberries. 4 Cups of Water. 2 TB of Ginger Root. 1 Teaspoon of Cinnamon (or skip this step if you want to use Cinnamon Essential Oil), 1/2 Teaspoon of Clove (or skip this step if you want to use EO).
Bring to Boil. Reduce and Simmer for 1 hour.
Strain elderberries out and pour liquid into a glass mason jar or other glass container. Let cool to lukewarm.
Add 1 cup of raw honey and 1 drop of Cinnamon EO and 1 drop of Clove EO if you did not use the spices before hand. Stir. Place in Fridge.
Kids take 1/2 tsp a day. Adults take 1 TBSP a day. Increase to 3 times a day if you need extra immune support.
And if we do happen to begin to fight something, a soothing herbal tea infusion is AMAZING! And in a drop of lemon essential oil with your raw honey for an added bonus.
5. Homemade Throat drops and Syrup. There are lots of tried and true home methods for soothing an itchy throat. Honey + lemon is the first thing that comes to mind. There are some great oils that can support healthy respiratory function as well. Eucalyptus oil is a great one. A little bit rubbed on the feet or chest with coconut oil is enough to see the benefits. I usually add Lime, Frankincense, and Majoram to my mix, or Breathe and Eucalyptus. Either way, it's great!
Also, doTERRA has On Guard throat drops which are awesome to have around or keep in your bag for emergencies. They are a great line of defense to help boost the immune system.
If you want something a little more DIY, try these recipes:
Natural Honey Throat Syrup
4 drops Lemon
2 drops Clove
2 drops Thyme
2 drops Ginger
1 drop Chamomile
1 drop Fennel
4 tbs Raw Honey
2 cups Distilled Warm Water
Dissolve the honey in the warm water. Don’t overheat. When combined and cool, add the essential oils. Pour into a amber glass container and store in the fridge. Shake before use. Take a spoonful or so when you need relief. Repeat often.
Honey Throat Drops
1 1/3 Cup Raw Honey
1 1/2 Cup Water
20 drops On Guard
Mound stevia in a pie plate. Create rounded indentions in the stevia with the back of a small spoon. Set aside. Bring honey and water to a boil. Continue boiling until hard crack stage. Take pan off of the heat and stir. Add Protection blend Essential Oil. Spoon drops of the mixture into the stevia molds. Let cool to touch. Roll drops around in the stevia till coated. Wrap in parchment paper.
6. Peppermint, Lavender, & Lemon are great cooling, relaxing, and soothing oils. Apply them down the spine, on the feet, to the temples, and the back of the neck. Remember, small amounts, applied often works best.
A tension blend containing oils such as peppermint, lavender, frankincense, chamomile, etc. is a great oil blend to have on hand for soothing localized tension. Experiment and see what works for you. When you are extra tense, you can also try to use Deep Blue, Past Tense, or Wintergreen. I love adding a layer of Frankincense on top of that. It helps drive in the properties of what I'm using for extra muscle relaxation. Apply topically but don’t forget to use them aromatically too. * I don't recommend Peppermint for little ones under 2.
7. Boost Immunity with On Guard. Dilute On Guard with a carrier oil and rub on feet, back of neck, and spine. For kids under 2 years old, you can use diluted lemon, melaleuca, frankincense, and lavender and rub on the feet, spine, and behind the ears.
8. Diffuse the air that you are working, living and sleeping in. A essential oil diffuser in your home and office will do just the trick. Almost all essential oils have some antibacterial and antiviral properties. So in theory you can use any essential oils for this purpose.
BUT I AM GOING TO SHARE A FEW OF MY FAVORITES
9. Immediately begin an essential oil protocol at the first sign that your immune system is needing extra help. For children that can’t take internal treatments, use appropriate oils on their feet, chest and using the spinal treatment. (Don't give children oils internally).
10. Make your home a happy place. Intentionally lower the stress level at home. Make it a haven with kind words and positive thoughts. Make a place of safety and refuge. As storms rage on, have your home be a house of prayer, gratitude and love. These are all things we can do that will create of synergy of protection for your home and family.